If you are not an-EU/EEA and non-Swiss citizen and you wish to stay in Ireland for a period longer than 90 days you must apply for immigration permission and if successful register. For those who do not know there are a variety of categories under which immigration permission can be requested. The most common of which being to study, to work or to live with your spouse, partner, child or family member. For each category there are immigration schemes and programmes which provide an in depth look at what each applicant should do in order to have the best chance at obtaining immigration permission.

It is important that before you travel you check your immigration road map, for example, to see if you require a visa. If you need a visa and are staying in Ireland for period that is longer than 90 days you will require a Long Stay (D) Visa. If you have a Short Stay (C) Visa your visit to Ireland must be 90 days or shorter otherwise you must register with immigration. It is important to note that it is recommended you apply for immigration permission before arriving in Ireland or before you go to an immigration registration office to register. If you do not acquire permission to stay in Ireland you cannot be registered and you will have to leave the country.

Registration is how the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) records that you have been given permission to stay in Ireland. It helps the INIS to monitor and manage migration demand. When you ‘register’ you are claiming you have permission to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days. Once you are over the age of 16 you must register. If you are allowed into Ireland at the border your passport will be stamped by an immigration officer. You must register before the date which is added to the stamp. If you live in Dublin you must go to Burgh Quay Registration Office to register in person by appointment. If you live outside Dublin you must go a regional office to register as you cannot register at Burgh Quay.

Once in the registration office an immigration officer will record your details. If you are registering based on a letter from the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service the officer will examine your documents and question you regarding the details and purpose of you travelling to Ireland. If your visit to the office is successful a stamp will be put in your passport by the officer granting permission for you to stay in Ireland. The office will also issue you a registration certificate, an Irish Residence Permit. This was previously known as an ‘GNIB Card’ and has been replaced since 11th December 2017. Registration costs €300 per person.

When you receive a permission stamp the type of stamp you get indicates the conditions of your immigration permission. This includes activities you can and cannot do during your stay and the time period you are allowed to stay. Different types of stamps include stamp 0 to stamp 4. The Irish Residence Permit is your registration certificate and indicates that your permission to stay in Ireland has been registered and the type of permission you have received. The Irish Residence Permit is an extremely important document and you must carry it with you at all times and present it on request. After the 11th of December 2017 all ‘GNIB Cards’ will be replaced with Irish Residence Permits and both hold the exact same legal status.

Here at Berkeley Solicitors we cannot stress the importance of applying for immigration permission and subsequently registering in ample time and correctly.

The appointment system for registration at the INIS offices at 13 Burgh Quay Dublin 2 is currently very busy, and there are currently long waiting times for obtaining an appointment. Appointments should be booked as early as possible, up to ten weeks before the required date if possible.

A small number of extra near- term appointments are released every day at 14.30 so you should check online every day at the following link: www.burghquayregistrationoffice.inis.gov.ie

Berkeley Solicitors